Medical Office Specialist
Our Medical Office Specialist class is offered in a hybrid format, with most of the class being offered online. The first night of class is a mandatory seated class.
Class topics include skills training in basic computer operations, medical terminology, medical law and ethics, medical office procedures, professional etiquette, grammar review and transcription editing, electronic health records, and medical coding.
- Module 1: Beginning Computer Fundamental, Basic Keyboarding Technique, Beginning Word for document processing*
*students will create a resume
- Module 2: Medical Terminology
- Module 3: Medical Law and Ethics with HIPA, Medical Office Procedure, Professional Etiquette
- Module 4: Grammar Review and Transcription Editing, Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- Module 5: Medical Coding
- Optional Credential Exam: Medical Administrative Assistant Certification (CMAA), $105 http://www.nhanow.com/medical-admin-assistant.aspx Offered through the National HealthCareer Association (NHA). Students will be given more information about the credentialing exam as the class concludes.
Students must have a valid email address and access to a computer (with internet) to enroll in this program. Students are welcome to utilize public libraries, but you will need to make arrangements to complete all assignments by the established deadlines.
May 1 - July 10, 2017
** May 1 is a mandatory seated class night, 6 pm to 9 pm
Building 8 - Room 823
Approximately 225 hours
COST OF CLASS
$185, registration fee $180, technology fee $5
No textbooks are required.
There are scholarships available through State Employees Credit Union and Golden Leaf. Please click on the Financial Assistance link at the left to learn more.
For more information about these courses, please contact:
Director of Workforce Initiatives
Building 8, Room 804
Phone: (252) 940-6307
Fax: (252) 940-6254