B
L
O
G

a person in a blue shirt outside
"I found a lot of self-worth in helping other people," says BCCC ambassador Eddie King. The dual-enrolled student attends Beaufort County Early College High School.

Scouting a Path to a Service Career: Eddie King

Eddie King sees a larger world outside of himself. Through his service to others, the dual-enrolled Beaufort County Early College High School student and Eagle Scout has seen the impact kindness and assistance can have on others. He plans to have turn this dedication to service into a career, possibly focused on mental health. After finishing his Associate in Arts at Beaufort County Community College, he plans to transfer to a university.

“I’m thinking of potentially doing mental health because I want to keep people in the best mental health that they can be in,” says King. “As we saw with a lot of what happened with the lockdown, it has repercussions on mental health, and I want to help people with their struggles.”

King was raised by his parents and the people surrounding him to help and serve others. He has reached the rank of Eagle Scout, the highest rank that one can receive, through Scouts BSA. He currently serves in different capacities in his home troop and the East Carolina Council.

He says that impacting someone else’s life costs nothing, and it can even benefit the person doing the service.

“It is important to serve others because you get that feeling of appreciation,” he says. “Not only do the people appreciate what you’re doing, but you appreciate yourself for what you’re doing. I found a lot of self-worth in helping other people and realizing that, hey, helping people makes you feel good, so I should keep doing it.”

He learned the value of service during COVID lockdown. At the time, he did not understand why he spent several days helping others. Only when it was done did he realize he helped change someone’s life without any expectation of reciprocity.

“I didn’t fully understand the point of it, because I was twelve years old at the time, but then when we were done, the look on her face made everything worth it. I think that is one of the best feelings I have ever had, knowing that I made a huge difference in someone else’s life,” he says.

King met life-long friends during through scouting. He found that knowing that he was among others who were dedicated to service also meant that he was surrounded by people who support him. “I stay in contact with a lot of people, we’re always going to have each other’s backs and talk to each other and communicate.”

“I think an important aspect of teamwork is when you work with someone, you get close with them,” he says.

King encourages anyone under 18 to try scouting. Even if people do not advance to becoming an Eagle Scout, they can meet new people on the way. He says, “At the very least, you’ll learn some valuable life skills and important knowledge that you are able to use, even in work. It definitely opens your eyes to a lot more skills and opens your door for more careers.”

As member of a generation of students who spent part of their youth grappling with the isolation brought on by the global COVID pandemic, his service extends into his personal friendships, helping them navigate crises and mental health challenges. While this is not the kind of service that can result in a merit badge, it is something that can turn into a job. King is exploring options of counseling and mental health as a way to channel his desire to serve others into a rewarding career.

“I think everyone deserves a little help sometimes.”

news