- Board Agendas
- Board Members
- Board Minutes
- Board of Trustees
- Campus and Regional Centers
- Equal Opportunity
- Faculty Resources
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- Organizational Charts
- Student Achievement
- Title IX Sex and Gender Discrimination and Harassment Policy
- Allied Health
- General Information
- Class Schedules
- College & Career Readiness
- Business & Industry Services
- Public Safety
- Healthcare Programs
- Workforce Programs
- Personal Enrichment
- Regional Centers
- Financial Aid
- Human Resources
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Student Records
- Student Life
What is Accessibility Services?
The Office of Accessibility Services is available to collaborate with qualified students in an effort to ensure equal access and quality services across all areas of Beaufort County Community College. Services are offered in compliance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended in 2008 (ADAAA).
The college has an Accessibility Services Coordinator (ASC) available to provide consulting and planning strategies for students who have documented disabilities. The ASC will coordinate special services such as interpreters for the hearing impaired, auxiliary aids, testing modifications, securing alternative text, and academic planning.
For more information, please contact Alex Shreve at 252-940-6313 or via email at Alex.Shreve@beaufortccc.edu.
Who is responsible for accessibility at BCCC?
We all are! Equal access is a shared responsibility. It is not achieved through accommodation alone. BCCC acknowledges that each student is unique and recognizes disability as a valued aspect of diversity. It is our goal to promote equal access in all campus programs, activities and events for individuals with disabilities through universal design and inclusive environments.
- Review BCCC’s Steps to Receiving Accessibility Services
To receive accommodations while attending Beaufort County Community College, students must adhere to the following procedures:
- Student completes an application for services. Application may be obtained from Coordinator of Accessibility Services.
- The student must request accommodations (within a time frame that allows the college to make necessary adjustments).
- The student must provide documentation of his or her specific disability when requesting accommodations. BCCC’s General Documentation Guidelines for Accessibility Services
- Once appropriate documentation has been evaluated, the student and the Accessibility Services Coordinator will meet to determine what accommodations are necessary for equal access to programs and services on campus. On average, the evaluation process takes 7-10 business days.
- The Accessibility Services Coordinator, along with the student, will coordinate notification of the accommodation letters to the student’s instructors each semester.
- If requested by the student, the Accessibility Services Coordinator will be available for meetings with the student and his/her instructors.
Beaufort County Community College is committed to diversity, inclusion and ensuring equal access in all campus programs, activities and events to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact the Coordinator of Accessibility Services at (252) 940-6313 in Building 9, Room or by email at Alex.Shreve@beaufortccc.edu. Advance notice maybe required for some accommodations
- Complete the Application for Accessibility Services
- Forward application to Alex Shreve via email at Alex.Shreve@beaufortccc.edu or fax to (252) 940-6274.
- Creating Accessible Word Documents
- PDF Conversion In Microsoft Word
- Creating Accessible Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 Presentations
- Creating Accessible Spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel
- Creating Accessible PDF Documents In Adobe Acrobat XI
- Creating Accessible Adobe InDesign CS5.5 PDF Documents
- Creating Accessible Electronic Content
- Identifying Web Accessibility Issues
- Captioning YouTube Videos
- Free Accessibility Checker
Free Screen Readers
In an effort to ensure courses are accessible to all students, Accessibility Services is available to provide support and assistance to faculty members. Faculty members who wish to request professional development on topics of interest should contact the Accessibility Services Coordinator at (252) 940-6313 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, the Virtual Online Learning Community for NC Community Colleges provides resources and training (at no charge) to enable faculty to offer innovative and engaging courses that meet best practice and ADA compliance.
- Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities
- Disability Rights NC
- Higher Education Self-Advocacy Factsheet
NC Division of Health and Human Service:
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Beaufort County Community College is dedicated to providing equal opportunities to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other legally protected category. The College will provide all qualified individuals reasonable accommodations in the work and educational environment and ensure equal access to all College programs, activities and facilities. The College does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor outlined above or prohibited under applicable law. The College is committed to creating and maintaining an environment free of discrimination that is unlawful or prohibited by College policy.