Withdrawing From School

Federal Regulations specify how BCCC must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, and Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs). Similar State regulations govern the return of NC Community College Grants and NC Education Lottery Scholarships.

When you withdraw during a period of enrollment, the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or the College) less assistance than the amount you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the college and/or you must return the excess funds.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an “OVERPAYMENT”. You must make arrangements with your school or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds. An overpayment status reported the Department of Education will result in the suspension of future federal and state grant funding.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from the refund policy of the College. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. BCCC will also charge you for any Title IV program funds that it is required to return to the Department of Education. You may contact the College Cashier’s Office for information on the schools’ refund policy. The Registrar can also provide you with the requirements and procedures for officially withdrawing from school.

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on the web at www.studentaid.ed.gov.