B
L
O
G

a person in a blue shirt
"I like managing my checkbook," says BCCC ambassador and future teacher Sahsha Gibbs. She already holds a Certificate in Business Administration from Beaufort CCC and plans to teach financial literacy.

Balancing Accounts and Student Activities: Future Teacher Sahsha Gibbs

While TikTok and YouTube are full of self-proclaimed financial experts, a more humble and compassionate one can be found closer to home at Beaufort County Community College. Sahsha Gibbs is channeling her love of finance and working toward a teaching degree to help GED students become more financially literate. The Southside High School graduate already holds a Certificate in Business Administration from the college, and she serves enthusiastically as the treasurer for the Student Government Association (SGA), alongside a host of other extracurricular commitments.

Gibbs knew early in high school that she enjoyed math and financial literacy classes, largely inspired by her interest in her own financial success. "I'm good at managing my money, saving certain amounts, balancing checkbooks, and being frugal," says Gibbs, who currently works at Whistle Express Car Wash.

While at Southside High School, she enrolled at Beaufort CCC to take marketing and management classes. By the time she finished high school, she had earned her Certificate in Business Administration. She then began working toward an Associate in Arts with the goal of transferring to a university to become a teacher.

She immediately put her skills to use as the treasurer of Beaufort CCC's SGA, but her involvement didn't stop there. Gibbs is omnipresent on campus. She is the founding president of the Get Movin’ Club, which she describes as promoting inclusive fitness solutions for people on campus.

"I'm very athletic," she says. "You'll see me walking around campus constantly. I love being active, involved, and taking care of my health."

In addition to her leadership in the Get Movin' Club, she is the president of the Environmental Alliance, a BCCC ambassador, a member of the Write On! Creative Writing Club, and the secretary of the college’s Wellness Committee, where she serves as a student representative.

These activities, along with leading tours as a BCCC ambassador, are helping her prepare for a future in the classroom. "Being a teacher means being a great leader, so I take on these leadership positions to prepare myself."

After speaking with friends and family who have earned their GED, she realized her financial literacy skills were something she could share with these students.

"Financial literacy is essentially a life skill that needs to be taught more, especially for those in the GED program. There might be things they don't know that would help them prepare for the workforce. Managing your money is important for success."

Gibbs offers three key pieces of financial advice for everyone: "Record every purchase. A lot of people think, 'I'm only going to spend $1.50 on this candy bar,' or 'it's only $5 for a subscription,' but those small amounts add up. People often don't notice until it's too late.”

"For those who tend to overspend, take a set amount of cash with you instead of relying on your card." Finally, she advises against impulse shopping: "If you really want something, I recommend waiting a month or so to see if you still need it."

Gibbs is so passionate about the GED program that she has taken the initiative to shadow Chief High School Equivalency Examiner Cassandra Elliott during a GED orientation, learning how the program works in preparation for her future career.

"I've known people who felt they weren’t smart enough because they only had a GED. When they apply for jobs, they worry it might affect their chances, but I know people with GEDs who are really successful."

She offers words of encouragement to those enrolled in or considering the GED program: "Use your circumstances to motivate you rather than letting them discourage you. Don't let your circumstances define who you are."

news